Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Emerging Leader Spotlight: Lindy Kao, Magento















This month we are pleased to feature emerging leader Lindy Kao, Senior Engineering Manager with Magento (owned by eBay, Inc.) out of California. Lindy believes that to go far you must be an authentic and honest person; thanks for “taking the lead” Lindy!
  
Question: What is the most important thing you have learned that has been critical to your career success?

Lindy:
Keeping a positive attitude has been especially significant during tough times to hold people together. I have also learned to be adaptable and flexible when business priorities change. And great execution is key to producing results!

Question: What key steps did you take to get to the role you are in today?

Lindy: By working hard, producing results and sharing the positive outcomes with my colleagues and managers.

Also, I enjoy meeting and connecting with people, and I am not afraid to seek advice from those who inspire me.

Question: What is your leadership style?

Lindy: I trust in the people I work with. By having trust, we collaborate well to achieve shared goals. I also maintain the “Keep It Human” behavior to build stronger relationships.


Question: What tools or resources have you used that have been crucial to your success?

Lindy: I love technology and ecommerce, so I follow some websites and Twitter to keep myself up-to-date with latest information. 

For inspiration, I love to read books; one of my recent favorite books is “Lean In” by Sheryl Sandberg, it really struck a chord with me.

I also enjoy watching inspiring TED speeches and attend leadership workshops.

Question: What steps are you currently taking to improve yourself, professionally?

Lindy: I am cognizant of how I connect with other people while creating a strategic network. Being self-aware is key as I strive towards improving my leadership brand and visibility within the company.
Question: What is the next step you plan to take in your career to develop your leadership skills?

Lindy: I have begun the process to enroll into an emerging leadership program at the company and plan to volunteer as a mentor for others. 

Also, I meet weekly with a great interpersonal communications teacher (Joseph M. Madda of Sherman Oaks, CA) to improve my communication skills.

Question: What professional accomplishment or result have you achieved in the past year that you are proud of?

Lindy: Recently, I helped my team beyond the scope of my job responsibilities and was pleased to have played a part in the end result, which was featured in a TechCrunch article. As an added bonus, I was highlighted in our company’s newsletter as a contributor to the project.

Question: What are some top tips you can recommend to other women who want to be recognized as a high potential emerging leader?

Lindy: It is in your hands to develop your career. You must identify your values and then use them to produce results that align with your company’s needs. Never shy away from sharing achievements. Also start networking and build contacts with those who can help you advance.

Jo:  Lindy, this is so true and aligns perfectly with our February theme of office politics and learning about the power of the dynamics in your organization. Thank you for sharing your story!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lindy really sums it up well on what it takes to be a successful and well-respected leader. While her approaches towards networking and building trust seem like the ideal way to navigate an organization, I'm also wondering what challenges Lindy and other women have faced in more male-dominated industries. Being transformational and more relationship-oriented can prove to be a challenge in these industries, so how does a woman leader balance her approach while remaining assertive and results-oriented as well? Is there a perfect balance, or is it necessary to wear different hats with different individuals?

I am currently working on my doctoral dissertation concerning women's leadership effectiveness, leadership style, social intelligence all within more traditionally male industries. My study is quantitative in nature, but getting anecdotal information from female leaders has been incredibly insightful. I would love to hear your thoughts.