Thank you to those who attended our HR Skill Enrichment Workshop, "Becoming a Person of Influence", presented by Jo Miller, CEO of Women's Leadership Coaching. We hope you had a great week applying many of the principals Jo taught us. In case life is taking over, here is a brief reminder the principals we learned together.
We hope you had a great week applying many of the principals Jo taught us. In case life is taking over, here is a brief reminder the principals we learned together.
What did we learn?
* Our own behavior teaches other people how to treat us.
* Remember to be visible, be proactive in connecting with others rather than waiting.
* Don't think that accomplishment alone will get one promoted and respected.
* Focus on developing relationships utilizing our body of knowledge.
* Develop a 30 second commercial pointing out our area of responsibility.
* Always mention my area of expertise and offer to help.
* Convey confidence - whether you feel it or not. Remember confidence is perceived as competent.
* Speak directly -- not too tentatively, not too forcefully. Eliminate tag questions like "don't you think?"
* Be aware of the influence your title carries but don't stop there.
* Remember influence takes time, so start today!
* Don't let opportunities pass you by thinking showing up is enough.
* Volunteer to present at meetings, promote your skills.
* Remember "Establishing relationships is the grand-daddy of influence".